Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Book of Bohemia

It occured to me today, walking through the West Village and going from one, small independent bookstore to another that New York has never felt this way to me before. It feels oddly new to me. I lived in midtown for nearly five years and now I'm back downtown. I haven't lived downtown since my sister and I lived in SoHo during the 9/11 attacks. Being in my neighborhood now feels like I've come full circle, though that circle has had a wide circumfrance. I feel much more excited at the prospect of doing book readings at these tiny neighborhood stores than at the huge mega stores like Barnes and Nobles, and Borders. In many ways this book, along with the marketing and promoting, is a grass roots effort, a child of a bohemian writing methodology. And though I hope this book accomplishes its primary goal of encouraging and helping people, I'm most proud that it's a Manhattan child. It was born in the city that I most love. As autumn approaches I too feel as though I am entering a new stage in my life. I feel like I'm shedding an old skin and moving into something that feels somehow more airy, more freeing, more profound.

No comments: