Thursday, November 6, 2008

Books, Stores, Readings, Parties, Oh MY!!!

The difference between our imaginings and reality are so comically acute sometimes. Since I found out that my book was getting published, years ago, I had this image of going to the Union Square Barnes and Noble, "my" Barnes and Noble and ceremoniously buying my book. Instead, the actual purchase happened in a much different way. As I walked through the rain yesterday I remembered that I had to buy a book for a research paper I was writing. I was at an obscure Borders in Midtown that I had never been to before. As I was typing in the author's name I had this inkling that there was another book I should be looking for. It wasn't until minutes later that I remembered, oh yeah, I should look for MY book...hee hee. But it did feel amazing actually purchasing Kid Rex, and even nicer that my credit card didn't bounce.

Last week, as a lot of you know, I was interviewed on Sirius radio for an hour. A couple of you especially liked when I was referred to as "Emily Moisin" (awesome). The show was interesting, (I think), and it was really fun doing radio- something of a throwback to old genres of communication. Luckily, I'm into retro these days. I'm going to try and post that show on my blog soon. Also, I'll updates upcoming readings, events, etc. My book launch party is next Saturday the 15th on the Lower East Side, but hopefully everyone who I invited knows/ remembers that. For all of you coming, all I ask is that you get drunk and rowdy...and maybe buy a copy of the book (I am a businesswoman, after all).

Finally, thanks to all of you who have written and called me with positive feedback about the book. It's an odd feeling simultaneously being such a private person, and also having such an honest, exposed memoir of my old self, my old life that is now, currently in the world. The mix of time, of lives, of worlds can be dizzying. So thanks to all of my friends, to my family (my mom who's been buying books all around town...), who keep me grounded and encouraged.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"By looking frightful and skeletal we are simultaneously pushing people away in a most destructive, passive-aggresive way, and challenging those we love to accept us and fight for us, regardless."

Thank you for expressing in a single sentance, what I've been trying to explain for years. Best of luck with book sales.

alovelyfall said...

I don't know if you check this website periodically, but I just really wanted to thank you for writing an account of life and recovery from Anorexia that truely captures the experience without romanticizing it. I'm in recovery myself and I've been inspired by your courage in the midst of your battle. Thanks for being real.

Luke said...

No idea if you read these comments anymore, but did you every complete a university degree after leaving NYU. The book was amazingly good.